Monday, October 10, 2016

Happy Day

Happy Thanksgiving Day to our neighbors in the north. We love you, Canada. Happy Columbus Day to everyone in the US of A. I used to enjoy this day as a teacher as it was usually a holiday. There aren't that many holidays in the fall so every one is precious.

I haven't heard all the news of damage brought on by the hurricane, but my friends and family have all reported in safe and by now have their power back on.

My local chapter of RWA is starting the second 50/50 event for 2016. For this writing encouragement event, the goal is to write at least 50 words everyday for 50 days. Fifty isn't a lot of words and all most everyone writes more than that. And you can miss a day here and there but never more than two days in a row. One of our members keeps track of the numbers that we report every day and then adds them up for an amazing group combined number and we can each see what we did ourselves. The second 50/50 also coincides with NaNo so it helps encourage those intrepid souls. And the reward? Our chapter president makes everyone an amusing, really cute magnet who completes the 50/50. Fun times.

This Saturday, I'll be in York, PA for the second annual YOTB Book Expo. This book event is run by Demi Stevens. She is an amazing organizer and really involved in the book industry in so many ways. She was a recent guest on IWSG so check out her post on putting together a book event. It was a great time last year and hope for the same this year.

Keep working on that fantasy story for the IWSG anthology. You still have time to submit your writing. It makes a great publishing credit.
Me, speaking to the TV news.

With the depressing political mess that someone only gets worse, I'm going to try to think of some pleasant things each day. Like at some point today, we'll find out whether the grandchild we're expecting will be a boy or a girl. That will be fun. Chilly nights but the days are still warm, so I can't complain about winter yet. (Don't be concerned that I'll forget to do that for four or five months this year.) The geese will fly over soon. I love that. There is lots of things of beautiful things to look upon with wonder in this world. I'm going to enjoy the sunshine.

What do Canadians eat for Thanksgiving? Do you do the turkey and pumpkin pie thing? Did the Day Job give you off for Columbus Day? What is currently bringing in some sunshine to your life?




19 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Fifty words in a day is doable.
A little ray of pitch black. I know people like that.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I'm with you on focusing on the pleasant, the sunshine. I barely look at the news anymore.

betty said...

How exciting with the expected grandchild! Work day for me today, but schools are closed.

Betty

Pat Hatt said...

50 words a day in do in commenting on just a few blogs haha Turkey it is at our Thanksgiving too.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'll have to see about getting involved in that expo next year.

We were delightfully chilly this morning.

A Beer for the Shower said...

I like the idea of that 50/50 event. Perfect for people who are rusty/blocked and just need to get back into the swing of things.

Also, we too are quickly getting overwhelmed by the nastiness of this election, and are trying desperately to focus on the positive... whatever that might be.

M.J. Fifield said...

I used to work in retail, and we had to work every holiday except Christmas. My significant other has Columbus Day off, though.

Best of luck at the Book Expo!

cleemckenzie said...

The Book Expo sounds like a lot of fun. Show us pictures of the event.

Chrys Fey said...

50/50 sounds like a great idea. I might give that a go. It could help me to get to work writing instead of doing all the other things on my list.

Enjoy the Book Expo!

J E Oneil said...

By the time November finally rolls around, I'm going to be a wreck. I can't stand all this anymore. But it's nice to hear about your impending grandchild. That's news I can enjoy.

Maria Zannini said...

Today is my 41st wedding anniversary, so that's where I'm getting my sunshine.

Anonymous said...

I know the one bakery in Canada my day job gets bread from gets biscotti and M&M cookies for Thanksgiving. Like, a lot. 12 dozen cookies for them.

Jo said...

Yup, many Canadians do the turkey and pumpkin pie deal. In fact I cooked a duck this year. First time in 40 years 'cos my grocery store was selling them cheap. Couldn't resist. Even put another one in the freezer for later. However, we ate that Saturday, cold on Sunday and today we went bowling.

Nas said...

The Book Expos sounds like an awesome event...looking forward to thew photos!

Liza said...

Fifty words a day seems doable...I am contemplated starting "Morning Pages" again. It means handwriting, stream-of-conscious for three pages or for a half-an-hour as soon as I wake up in the morning. The bad thing is it means getting up a half-hour early. We shall see...

nashvillecats2 said...

Sorry for being a day late. Hope Canada had a Happy Thanks Giving Day. Enjoyed your post as always.
Yvonne.

Crystal Collier said...

You know, the hurricane wasn't nearly as bad as they'd anticipated. I'm thinking the prayers moved it further out to sea.

50/50, that's totally doable.

And let's not even talk about politics, I mean theatrics, I mean outright mud slinging. This is how you know you have terrible candidates, when they both jump into the muck.

Shanaya Tales said...

Oh yeah. I try not to think about the state of American Politics - there are other things to feel miserable about. Right now - I choose to focus on the sunshine. What will be, will be.

The Happy Whisk said...

50 words? Why so low?